15.9.09

Round-Up!

Another Shorpy round up here, 'cause my google reader is overloaded with things marked 'unread' and it's stressing me out. A big part of that is always the beautiful images on Shorpy, so here's another batch I've been wanting to share with you...
------
High School Confidential. Here's the big version of the picture above. There's just something extremely striking about it to me. It's so simple, but weird. I guess it was a test shot? I don't know, but it's one of those ones where I have to wonder just who that girl was, and what was going on in her life, and even in her mind, as she presumably waited to get her portrait taken and the photographer fired this one off.
------
Roundhouse. A classic Delano. This was almost the picture I used above. He always has great shots. Beautiful depth. Working with trains he always has so many lines going on, and I love them. Of course, it probably helps that I just love trains too...
------
He Sleeps Where he Lies. Wow. This one almost was the post picture too, but I figured a picture of a dead soldier was a little weird/depressing. I still had to share it though. It's interesting to me as he is so frozen in his final moment, and doubly so as he is frozen by the act of the photograph. In those terms of course, you can always think of a person in a photograph as dead, as they have continued on and stopped being that person after the photo has been taken. But really, why would you want to get into that? Interesting photo regardless.
------
End of the Line. Took me way too long to figure out what this meant by "house of streetcars," but there you go. Make me thinking of all of the shipping container buildings that keep popping up lately. Ahead of it's time!
------
The Tax Clock. There's something about the fact that this guy is so well dressed, while pasting up a large billboard, that really made this stick out for me. Not that people didn't regularly dress like that, but this seems like a job for a guy in overalls or something, you know? The billboard is pretty nice too...
------
More to come some time soon, I hope. Finally made it to the Chicopee disc golf course this weekend, and made up our own urban disc golf course. Maybe you'll get to hear about that. Probably not though.

Fall is almost here and I am excited, and listening to Nick Drake for the first time in much too long.

No comments: